luni, 24 decembrie 2018

GUILEY 2005 (7SDB2018)

Rosemary Ellen Guiley
Facts On File, Inc., 2005, 369 p. (pdf.)




Foreword
by Jeanne Keyes Youngson, Ph.D.
Founder of the Vampire Empire
„Of all the creatures in our mythologies and demonologies, the vampire reigns as the most fascinating. Most people knowledgeable about vampires do not start out with the intention of becoming experts. The vampire does, however, have a way of getting into your bloodstream and staying there. At least that is what happened to me many years ago. I did not just wake up one morning and decide to start the world’s first Dracula fan club. It happened over a period of time—and it certainly has been an incredible journey. This is how it happened: In the early 1960s, I was an animation filmmaker living in New York City with my husband, Robert Youngson, who had won two Oscars for his films The World of Kids and This Mechanical Age. We were movie mavens and went as often as time permitted. Those were the days of Brides of Dracula, Horror of Dracula, and Dracula, Prince of Darkness, which I was particularly drawn to, perhaps because I had loved Stoker’s Dracula so much. In 1965 I went on my first trip to Romania and learned firsthand about the Wallachian voivode, Vlad Tepes. The guide talked about this national hero nonstop and I, of course, remembered Harry Ludlam mentioning him in A Biography of Dracula: The Life Story of Bram Stoker. I suppose the combination of these factors was what started me thinking about starting a Dracula society—which I did as soon as I got back to New York. The original Count Dracula Fan Club was born on June 25, 1965, and, as it turned out, more people than I realized were as interested in the Prince of Darkness as I was. Robert had a large office at 1 Fifth Avenue, and we had a lot of movie get-togethers where we showed films on his 16-mm projector. One of our regular guests was Edward Gorey, who later did the sets and costumes for John Badham’s Dracula, starring Frank Langella. Gorey always came laden with gifts and balloons, sometimes with a bag of his latest books. Both Robert and I loved his wry humor and wonderful stories about ballet. He was a real delight and a most appreciative audience for the movies Bob took such great care to choose. The Count Dracula Fan Club was an immediate success, and word about the society spread like wildfire. We soon had a long mailing list for our newsletter and almost from the beginning I heard from people who asked all kinds of questions about vampires, wanted to tell me they thought they had become a vampire, or wanted to know how they could become one. Sometimes they wanted me to set them up with other blood-drinkers—as though the club was some sort of dating service. One woman wanted to marry a vampire and start her own dynasty! The letters still come in, many of them these days from prison inmates who are desperate for pen pals. And two men on death row inquired about becoming vampires so that they could live on as undeads following execution. I started collecting Dracula, vampire, and horror memorabilia in 1965 and continued amassing a huge collection, which, I hoped, I could incorporate into a museum when the time was right (1990, as it turned out). In 1974 Robert died suddenly and unexpectedly. Actor friends in London offered me their flat, and I jumped at the opportunity to live abroad. I had their apartment on Pall Mall for four years and later sublet a house in Cambridge, England, for four more years. I commuted between the United States and England during this time, which meant I could have two active club headquarters, one in the States and one in Britain—the best of all possible worlds. One of the first things I did once I got to London was join the British Dracula Society, and in 1974 I accompanied them on their first trip to Romania. The journey was, in a way, a turning point in my life, when I realized that my society had far more potential than I had originally thought. Shortly thereafter I gave up filmmaking and turned my complete attention to running the Count Dracula Fan Club. Through the years, I expanded the society, adding new divisions, which served several niche interests. I gave interviews, spoke at conferences, and fielded innumerable media requests. The public’s appetite for vampires became as insatiable as the vampires’ own blood lust. By 2000, it was obvious that the Count Dracula Fan Club had grown beyond Stoker’s Count and far beyond being “just” a fan club. Vampires and Dracula had hit the big time in all respects and had become a potent force in entertainment, literature and the performing arts, and as pop icons. I renamed the society the Vampire Empire at the turn of this century, a title I thought more befitting our extensive modus operandi. Along the way, I have had the privilege of traveling around the world, and I have met many terrific people, some of whom have become important parts of the Vampire Empire and the entire vampire field as well as close personal friends. One of these persons is Rosemary Ellen Guiley. I met Rosemary in 1989, when she contacted me for her first book on vampires, Vampires Among Us. Having worked with many writers and reporters, I was most impressed with Rosemary’s knowledge, professionalism, and thoroughness in research. Vampires Among Us became a must-read for vampire fans, and I have no doubt that this encyclopedia will be met with the same enthusiasm. Rosemary has compiled an encyclopedia of astonishing scope and depth, from little-known folklore to arts and entertainment, to roleplaying in social cultures. Simply put, the book is fascinating and fun. No matter where you open it, you will find something amazing. It is also a substantial compendium of information, an indispensable and very accessible tool for anyone who undertakes research on vampires and werewolves, whether for academic study, for books and articles, or for novels and entertainment.There is always something new to learn about the vampire and his cousin, the werewolf. The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters is a top pick, an important contribution to this ever-growing field” (pp. IX-X). 

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu